•Fluency is the ability to read a text accurately, quickly, and with expression
•A fluent reader reads smoothly and is interesting to listen to.
Ways to Foster Fluency:
Books on Tape
How can we foster reading fluency?
- Paired or “Buddy” Reading. The easiest and best way to help your child develop fluency is to sit with your child and read! …
- Reread Favorite Books. Another way parents can help develop fluency is to build a tall stack of books that your child can read quickly and easily. …
- Record It.
- Reader’s Theater (select shorter passages for early readers)
10 Strategies for fluency
- Record students reading aloud on their own. …
- Ask kids to use a ruler or finger to follow along. …
- Have them read the same thing several times. … Check out Six Minute Fluency
- Pre-teach vocabulary. …
- Drill sight words. …
- Make use of a variety of books and materials. …
- Try different font and text sizes. …
- Create a stress free environment.
BuyMe a Coffee
My blog is fueled by coffee. If you’d like to buy me a cup, it is appreciated.