Children that are read to learn that symbols on the page hold meaning. They learn to hold a book, care for a book, how to read from left to right, and how to turn pages. Most importantly they associate books with pleasure.
Concepts of Print refers to the awareness of ‘how print works’. This includes the knowledge of the concept of what books, print, and written language are, and how they function. It encompasses a number of understandings that allow the reading process to take place including: understanding that print conveys a message.
Concepts of print include:
- Reading from left to right (Different languages have different concepts of print. For example, Arabic and Hebrew read from right to left while English, Spanish and French all read left to right).
- Reading from top to bottom
- The fact that letters and words convey a message.
- Print is what we read.
- The “return sweep”, to move from one line to the next
- Illustrations in a book correspond to the print
- Every book as a front, back, and an author
- November 2021
- October 2021
- September 2021
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
BuyMe a Coffee
My blog is fueled by coffee. If you’d like to buy me a cup, it is appreciated.